Monday, September 5, 2011

"You is smart...You is beautiful...You is loved"

What a beautiful day today was!  I hope you all had a wonderful Labor Day weekend and got out today to enjoy the gift God gave us today in the form of His perfect creation. Today I was blessed enough to experience one of those "perfect days".  You know the kind I'm talking about?  The kind where from the minute you wake up and set your feet on the floor you just know that each step is going to bring you to a barrage of blissful moments that eloquently knit together a day that can neither be repeated nor topped. I know you've had to have had one, and if you haven't, I'll pray you do soon because its just the sort of day that reminds you how incredibly loved you are by your Creator.

My day began by making a delightfully delicious breakfast for my mom and sister consisting of Coconut flour pancakes with a homemade cinnamon strawberry syrup (no sugar) along with some yummy spinach scrambled eggs and fresh sliced avocados.  Really?! Who can't have a perfect day after that?  As soon as we finished breakfast we headed out. On our way out we happened to pass my favorite lil' farmer's stand and they just happened to have mammoth zuccini's and other produce.  Perfect!  Look at the bounty we collected for only $4.75!


Cannot wait to make some awesome zucchini bread, muffins, cake, and linguini! I'm telling you, buying local is the way to go.  Those mammoth (and I mean MAMMOTH) zucchinis were only $.75 a peice! The cucumber was $.40, the banana peppers were $.20, and the little green pepper was $.40. Couldn't beat it!

After picking up some lovely produce we headed to the Missouri Botanical Gardens and I could not think of a more perfect sunny day to do it. We had never been there but definitely fell in love with it as soon as we walked in...(we even became members haha).  The Japanese Festival was going on this weekend there as well so we were able to take in the last few moments of that.  Lots of food, vendor booths, exhibits, and more. The grounds are absolutly gorgeous and I could not believe how HUGE this place is. If you've never been I definitely suggest you check it out! (I'll post pics as soon as my lovely sister downloads them :) )

We had decided earlier to see a movie but decided to eat dinner at home before going.  Mom had the awesome idea of cooking a crockpot Italian Beef so that when we got home everything would be ready to go. One of my FAVORITE things is walking into the house and smelling Italian Beef simmering in a crockpot and well, I got that today! Along with the Beef mom made a homemade coleslaw (with healthy dressing made by yours truly) and we paired it all with some great green beans.  Dinner was finished off with my sister's amazing black bean chocolate cake (tastes JUST like regular chocolate cake.  You'd never know it was beans.  No texture difference!).  So how could the day possibly get any better?

Add The Help.
Image Detail

This movie was so fantastic that I cannot even begin to assign it words that would apptly capture how much I loved it.  I laughed, cried, was moved, and inspired.  I thought the way the relationships were constructed was absolutely beautiful and tugged at my heart more than once. What was great was to be able to see it with a wonderful group of women I care so much about, my mom, sister, and Mary! Nothing better than seeing a wonderful movie with kindred spirits.
I will say that it's so sad to think that racial discrimination displayed in this movie was from a time not so long ago and what's even sadder is that it still exists in some forms even today.  My heart was broken for the general state of humanity during that time and how it is reflected now.  We've definitely made huge progress but only in so much as we no longer hold domestic slaves...but there certainly are remnants of the attitudes of hate. I choose to live my life color blind and to love people because of who they are and not because of the color of their skin. How about you? If you've seen this movie I would love to hear your feedback as well!




No comments:

Post a Comment