Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Healthy Ridicule

I was utterly digusted when I saw this story hanging out on Yahoo! News after the VMA's:

Demi Lovato Defends Healthy Weight at Video Music Awards

Demi Lovato Defends Healthy Weight at Video Music Awards
Credit: Kevin Mazur/WireImage
Monday – August 29, 2011 – 2:35pm
Demi Lovato feels beautiful just the way she is, thank you very much.
The 19-year-old singer fought back at critics who ridiculed her healthier, curvier figure on Twitter during Sunday's MTV Video Music Awards.
VIDEO: Watch Demi's triumphant return to the stage

"Guess what? I'm healthy and happy, and if you're hating on my weight you obviously aren't," Lovato, who wore a plunging Mandalay mini-dress, wrote.
Twilight actress Ashley Greene, 24, sent Lovato a message of support, reminding the "Skyscraper" singer that she's "beautiful."

"This is why you're my friend," Lovato responded. "Thank you girl."

End.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Bullied for her weight as a kid, Lovato developed an eating disorder that turned into a lifelong struggle with food. "That's kind of what I've been dealing with ever since," the singer admitted on 20/20 earlier this year. "I was compulsively overeating when I was eight years old. So, I guess, for the past 10 years, I've had a really unhealthy relationship with food."

Disney teen-princess Demi Lovato removed herself from the iconic Disney kingdom last year to enter treatment for a long term eating disorder and self-harm.  It took quite a bit for this young woman to come forward and express her struggle, and not only that, but to also take leave to take care of herself.  She emerged from the chaos dawning a beautiful new self confidence along with a stellar body. Much healthier than her once anorexic frame would suggest, Demi's first public appearance showed her body sporting a curvy effervescence...HOWEVER, in typical media form, she was attacked for having gained, what "Media elite" conferred was too much weight.  So first she's attacked for having an eating disorder and representing a poor body image to her young fans....so she went and got help and got her life back on track and now she's attacked for being healthy and curvacious?!  REALLY?!

Since when did it become the social norm to be ridiculed for being healthy?  I mean, if Demi Lovato is overweight, then I'm a cow.  Just sayin'  This girl, though now at a healthier place, is still like only a size 2-4 and weighs maybe 120lbs....NOTHING about that is overweight.  Our social media, television, printed media, and Hollywood are setting such a scewed standard for what is healthy and beautiful.  It is no wonder that girls as young as 6 years old are developing eating disorders!  These girls are taught that they must live up to an unachieveable standard...a standard that says skinny is beautiful, but not too skinny or you're a freak....a standard that says if you have any meat on your bones your an obese heffer and might as well jump off a bridge.  Rough? How about it's worth than you think. Let me take a moment to count some more celebs that have been subject to the burning light of the "socially acceptable" weight microscope:

-Jessica Simpson (who, by the way, at her largest was a size 8...Not even double digits!)

-Carrie Fischer (Princess Leia herself battled an eating disorder, gained menopause weight, and is now the spokeswoman for Jenny Craig. She lashed out at bloggers "from the bottom of my heart encased in fat" after reading one comment online that said she "used to be hot" but now "looked like Elton John.")


-Kelly Clarkson (one who is actually proud of her weight and laughs at those who criticize her for not being a size 2)

-Cheryl Burke (from Dancing with the Stars fame was nicknamed "Hogzilla" by a harsh critic.  This tight and toned dancer is a mere size 4, maybe smaller now, and looks beautiful!)


-Jennifer Love Hewitt (A self proclaimed size 2 was criticized for a photo of her in a bikini that was less than flattering.  Over the years she's been featured more than once in the "who looks worst in a bikini" stab articles.)


- Kate Winslet (This Titanic actress struggled with weight as a child and was even nicknamed "Blubber" in gradeschool. In my opinion she is one of the most beautiful actresses of my generation and her ability to carry herself so well is so admirable.  She's a perfect picture of the average healthy woman!)


- Mischa Barton (another small actress who is criticized for her "curvy" frame. In reality, she's a small, thin girl.)


- Khloe Kardashian (pegged for being the "chubby" Kardashian sister, Khloe does wear her weight differently than her booty poppin' sister Kim, but is by no means carrying an excessive amount of weight. Poor girl even launched a dangerous diet pill with her sister Kim a few years back but it was removed from the market due to FDA concerns.  'After hearing critics constantly comparing her to her sisters, Kim and Kourtney, she recently spoke out: "I will never look like them. No matter how skinny I am, that body will never be mine." ' She is now married to a beautiful basketball player.)


- Tyra Banks (This "Fierce" supermodel has admitted that though she is no longer in her top form and proudly wear "Spanx" but is thankful for the ability to say that she IS healthy.)


- Serena Williams ('Growing up, "everyone called me fat," she recently told Tyra Banks. "Every paper, the headline was 'fat, fat, fat.'" Even today, "sometimes I read things [that say] I'm too fit or my arms are too muscular, but that's how I am." ')


- Kirstie Alley (A once self-proclaimed "Fat Actress", Kirstie has ridden the rollercoaster of weight difficulties...losing 75 only to gain back 83.  She finally got tired of being the 'butt' of jokes and made a serious committment to her health, forming the health and wellness company "Organic Liason" which features an all-natural healthy drink supplement as well as other such weight loss-aiding components.  Did any of you see her transformation on Dancing with the Stars?  By the end of the show she had lost 30 lbs.  She may not have won the show but she won another battle for sure!)


These names I mentioned don't even begin to cover the gamut of those who have been publically humiliated by the press for carrying a healthy weight. Oh, something else, when I looked up the pictures to use for this post, the keywords that came up with each actresses name was "(insert name) fat". When will we as a people start standing up against these injustices and teaching the upcoming generation what being healthy really means?! It's time to make a change.

Leave me some thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting that society pushes for women to have a curvy figure (on top at least) - but then when women who are too thin gain that part back, they are suddenly "gaining too much weight."

    I think it just gives these tabloid people something to talk about and gyms/weight loss companies something to sell. They always have to make us unhappy about something with ourselves, and then if we're unhappy enough we'll pay money to try to fix it...and when we do, they'll point out something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont believe that JLH was a size 2 EXCEPT at her skinniest, nor do I believe that Jessica has not reached double digits. However, I'm not into "skinny skinny" so I'm not mocking. I just feel that thin can be a side effect of healthy living (not dieting)...just eating well, and good physical activity. Anorexia is not the way to go nor is it appealing. But I do know when I gain 20lbs, and there's some extra flab on me, then its time to hit the weights and the treadmill, and re-think what I'm eating. I don't say "I'm a whale" but I do say "I'm fat for me" and it's true, and it's also true for some of these women. Are they fat? Nooooooo, but they could get themselves down a bit (sometimes it small 10-15lbs) so that their metabolism gets back in gear, and they have some more pep. I by no means think that any of them should ever starve. Just "get a bit athletic." It does wonders.

    And I hate that Khloe Kardashian makes excuses for herself. With her height, if she hit the gym and did some good weight training with her arms, and hit the treadmill for 20 minutes a day, she could blow her sisters away. Kim and Khloe aren't blessed with the long limbs. I just think she sells herself short, and with 3 months of being diligent, she could surprise all of us, INCLUDING herself and her sisters.

    ReplyDelete