Friday, August 26, 2011

First Green Weekend at Work

Working weekends and having NO control over what is being prepared for meals makes living on Maximized Advanced quite a challenge so in an effort to make it work, I am planning ahead. On Fridays I accompany the residents to the mall...which means, you guessed it... MALL FOOD.  Not a lot of options for a woman on a no-grain, no sugar, no junk food kick.  Fortunately my good ol standby, Sarku Japan, was willing to make my "yummy yummy" chicken terryaki WITHOUT the terryaki sauce, completely cutting the sugar.  I ended up with a lovely plate of steamed veggies and grilled chicken.  Crisis averted!

Then came dinner...Broccoli Cheddar Soup and Paninis.  Ok, so I can make the soup work but the carb loaded panninis, not so much.  Instead I made myself a lovely oragnic mixed greens salad with sliced yellow squash, tomatoes, a little bit of tuna, sliced almonds, a little bit of cheese, and topped it off with a great new organic dressing (less than 1g of sugar) that I found (at Walmart of all places!).

So needless to say, I made it work....today.  Kidding! I plan on making it work ALL weekend.  I already know they've planned to have delicious, I mean KRYPTONITE, pancakes for breakfast in the morning. My plan?  Eat BEFORE work.  I might just even make my own Coconut Flour pancakes (as per the Max Living recipe)!  Lunch should be simple as its very light and filled with options like fresh cut veggies, cheeses, tuna, nuts, etc.  Dinner...Unsure.  Will let you know!

I have had quite a few requests for various recipes I have used thus far into my journey and I am more than happy to share! Here's the first for you: Kale Chips!

Kale Chips:
1 Bunch of Kale
1 Tbsp of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
Sea Salt (to taste)

-Pre-heat oven to 375*
-Thoroughly wash the kale and dry.  Separate kale leaves from stalk and rip into sizeable pieces.
-Place pieces of kale onto a cookie sheet.  Drizzle pieces with olive oil and sprinkle sea salt (you may sprinkle sea salt on after baking if you so desire).
-Place cookie sheet in oven and back for 10-15 minutes or until kale is lightly crisp.  If you overdo them, even if not to burnt, they will taste burnt....trust me!

Now don't go expecting these to be your guilt free scapegoat from potatoe chips... because, well, they dont taste at all like potato chips and take a few bites to get used to texture and taste but they actually are quite good!  The best place I have found, so far, to get kale in bunches is Whole Foods.  I was able to get a big bunch for $2.50 and didnt even use the whole bunch for the chips.  A few stalks yielded quite a few chips so just keep that in mind!


The finished product. This wasn't MINE per-se, but I liked the way the picture capture the essence of the kale. :P


Well kids, I must say adieu as I am due for another day of this adventure in a few small hours! I pray you are all having a wonderful week.  Try the Kale Chips and let me know your thoughts or suggestions for how they can be further dressed up!

        
      Peace and Greens! - Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment