Monday, August 29, 2011

If You Like Colada

In an attempt to switch things up for dinner tonight I created an Advance-plan-friendly coconut chicken that rocked my world! I thought since I enjoyed it so much I would share the love and give you all my recipe.

Coconut Chicken:

Ingredients:
- Organic free range Chicken Breasts w/ skin (The kind I bought at Whole Foods still had the ribs attached which actually provided extra meat.  It took some maintenance to separate the breast from the ribs but it was worth it!)
-2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2/3 C. Coconut Flour  (So far I have only been able to find one manufacturer that makes this and it retails for $7.99 at both Whole Foods and Dierbergs. Bob's Red Mill is the name you're looking for)
-1/3 C. Unsweetened Organic Shredded Coconut
-1 Cage Free Egg (can use white or brown.. I currently have brown so that's what I used)

1. Prep the chicken breasts.  If chicken breasts have ribs attached use a sharp serated knife to gently remove meat from rib.  I was able to make the rib meat yield a few extra pieces in addition to the 2 actual breasts in the package.
2. Mix dry ingredients in large mixing bowl, insuring that flour and shredded coconut are evenly distributed.  You may add whatever spices you like to this mixture.  I personally added a Monterey Chicken spice by Weber.
3. Crack egg and place into bowl.  Use a meat basting brush to brush the egg wash onto the chicken breast.
4. Coat egg washed chicken breasts in the dry flour mixture and place into pan coated with coconut oil on medium heat. Cook until brown and crispy!

ENJOY!

I also made a terribly yummy broccoli and cauliflower salad that I'm sure you'll love as well.  The recipe came from the Max Living book but I made my own little creative adjustments.

Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad:

Ingredients:
1 C. Broccoli Florets
1 C. Cauliflower Florets
2/3 C. Veganaise (You may use regular Mayo but note it does have wheat gluten...hence why I couldnt use it.  Veganaise is carried at most grocery stores and Whole Foods and contains no eggs, gluten, or sugar but tastes just like Mayo, if not better!)
1/2 C. Shredded Cheese (optional)
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (May use red wine or white wine vinegar if you prefer)
1/2 C. Raisins (May use dried cranberries...which I would have but had none on hand)
1 C. Raw Sunflower Seeds
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Clean and prep both broccoli and cauliflower florets and place into large salad bowl.
2. Mix Veganaise and apple cider vinegar into florets until all florets are evenly coated.  Using a spatula to mix works really well!
3. Add raisins, sunflower seeds, cheese, and seasoning.  Mix thoroughly.
4. Place in refrigerator to chill for 20-30 mins or overnight to increase flavor.

SO Yummy!

So here's my grocery store gripe for the day.  I went into Dierbergs tonight after my chiropractic appointment to pick up a few necessities for dinner and more than once went into sticker shock over the price of produce! Some of their prices were reasonable but, can I tell you, they wanted $6.99 for a medium sized container of strawberries, $3.99 for a tiny container of blueberries, and $2 a piece for colored peppers!  I was really blown away.  I guess that's what happens to fruit prices when things start to move out of season.  This is why I love purchasing from farm stands and fruit markets because I can usually get a better bang for my eco friendly buck.  There is a great little stand on Manchester that is set up Tuesday-Sunday in front of the Wonderbread store, right next to Dickie's Bar-b-que.  They are a family owned farm but tend to have great farm stand prices.  Struckmeyers in Fenton is also a pretty good stop and they grow much of their own produce, although some of the produce that ISNT theirs is sold for much higher prices.  My favorite stand, so far, however, is a tiny one right by my house that is set out everyday by this couple who own a farm.  You can literally get a bundle full of things and just put your cash in a little lock box and there you go!  They usually always have huge things of garlic ($.40 each), Eggplant ($.75 each), Zucchini ($.75 each), Banana Peppers ($.15 each), and various tomatoes ($.45-$.75 each).  So convenient and yummy.  The tomatoes I picked up from them last time I went were a beautiful ruby red on the inside and soooo flavorful.  If you live in Fenton this quaint little stand is worth a stop! 

Have any suggestions for reasonably priced organic produce? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Join a co-op!! You pay $22 amd get 2 weeks worth of friuts and veggies to feed a family of 4. All of it is locally grown and it is all things that are in season. Its an awesome deal and saves you trips to the store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vicky! That's a great idea, will definitely have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete